If you like Indian food spices , you'll love this vegan recipe of mixed vegetables,chickpeas and potatoes simmered in a generous amount of aromatic Indian spices.If you don't happen to have all of the spices on hand, feel free to skip one or two, but anymore than that and you will miss the authentic Indian flavor of this dish.This is a very healthy, nutritious and wholesome dish with the goodness of vegetables.
Mixed Vegetable Vegan Coconut Curry / Indian Curry Recipe
Preparation Time:- 10 Minutes.
Cooking Time:- 20 Minutes
Recipe Source:- Adapted from Madhu's Recipe
Mix Vegetable - 2-3 Cups ( I used frozen ones)
Cooked Chick peas- 1/2 Cup
Potato - 1 Cut into small cubes
Tomato - 2 ( Make a smooth paste in a blender )
Coconut milk- 2 Cups
Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
Ginger - 1 Inch chopped finely
Garlic pods - 2 Chopped finely
Turmeric powder- 1/2 Tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 Tsp
Cumin powder- 1/2 Tsp
Garam masala to taste
Red chilly powder to taste
Bay leaves- 1
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon stick - 1 small piece
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste
Oil - 4 Tbsp
Medium onion- 1
Handful of mint leaves
A big handful of coriander leaves
1) Add a tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion till light brown. Turn off the heat. Let cool for few minutes.
2) Take the sauteed onion, coriander leaves and mint leaves in a mixer. Add some water and make a fine paste. Set a side.
3) Add a tbsp of oil and add the bay leaves, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Fry for few seconds.
4) Now add the pureed tomato and some salt. Cook till the oil oozes out from the sides of the pan.
5) Add in the coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and red chilly powder. Fry for few seconds.
6) Add the ground onion mixture and saute for few minutes.
7) Stir in the coconut milk, tomato paste and necessary water for the gravy.
8) Cook the gravy for ten minutes and check the seasoning.
9) Now add all the veggies and boiled chick peas. Reduce to low and cook for ten to fifteen minutes.
10) Turn off the heat and add in the lemon juice.
Serve the rich mixed vegetable coconut curry with some Flat bread (Naan) or pulav.